Sunday, July 19, 2015

DIY Shiplap Wall

I love Shiplap, and as I've said before, that show Fixer Upper! Ahhh I love it!!!

{site}

Aren't they just the cutest and so fun to watch!?


Jojo inspired me to complete my own version of shiplap, and with the help of my talented father-in-law, and amazing husband we were successful!!

Honestly, I was so excited and wrapped up in the process that I wasn't that great at taking pictures. Plus, I felt like each picture looked the same and you couldn't really tell the difference between steps because it was so repetitive. This is a DIY that is so adjustable to your needs that you really just need the tools and you can do WHATEVER you want, and how YOU want it with your own measurements. 

I can't wait to show you the results!

Sorry for the {bad quality} real life photos. ;)

Just ignore the paint testing strips on the wall, the mess, and the fact that I was already taking things off the wall because I may or may not had forgotten to take a before picture before testing and beginning to prep. 




First, we had to paint over that tacky golden wheat color that the previous owners had chosen...no offense to them. 
I prefer a softer, more airy color. It's a light gray - almost white - color from Valspar.

Then we began the looooonnngg process of measuring and cutting wood, and nailing it to the wall....repeat.


We actually used thin sheets of plywood that you can buy from Lowes or Home Depot. 
For the spaces between each of the boards, we used nickels. 

Materials:
plywood
nail gun
paint
nickels
miter saw
table saw
skill saw




We went with 6" wide planks and alternated between 4' and 8' long. We also started from the bottom of the wall and worked our way up.







Here, I started getting anxious and wanted to see how it would look painted, so I jumped the gun a little. ;)




My FIL had the brilliant idea to do a herringbone pattern over the mantle.
Even though he was regretting that decision because of all the measurements and cuts, I'm glad he thought of it because it looks absolutely amazing!





The most difficult part was the herringbone (at first), and using the skill saw to cut and create a template of the molding around the mantle for it to align perfectly with the boards.







What do you think?
Don't you just love the end results!! 

I am so excited about it....this is officially my favorite part of the house now!


XOXO,
Jen







No comments:

Post a Comment