Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Painting Kitchen Cabinets

We have officially completed the biggest DIY project that we've done yet and  painted our kitchen cabinets! We also added beadboard to all of the side paneling which really adds character to the kitchen and completes the whole thing!

I may or may not have thrown a tantrum or two while doing this, and there was a point where I questioned why I thought I could do this, but let me tell you, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you can do it too! 

First, let me show you some before pictures.

These pictures are from the listing when we bought the house. 




Now for the revealing...



I did a lot of research before I started and everything said that you MUST sand first. After actually completing the task myself, I will also say that you MUST sand your cabinets. There is a polyurethane film that covers them and will prevent the paint from sticking.


After sanding, be sure to clean them really well of dirt, dust, grime, and any other unwanted grossness that may have been sticking to your cabinets.



Finally, priming. We primed really heavily. 

After you prime, paint.


We used Valspar Ultra semi-gloss Bistro White.



I didn't take any during pictures because the whole process is just something that you can't really see the stages of through a lens. 




This was A LOT of work, but totally worth it! I love the difference! 
Let's look again! :)




What do you think?
Have you ever completed a DYI this big? 
I would love to hear from you!

We have several more things to update and renovate in the kitchen, and although it all won't happen over night, I will keep you updated throughout the fun process, so stay tuned! :)

Coming up:
Paint kitchen walls
Change lighting in kitchen and dining
Add pendant above sink
Add cabinet pulls and knobs
New sink
New countertops 
New backsplash
New fridge


 xoxo,
Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment